In computing, software, which is abbreviated as SW or S/W, is a collection of programmes that allows the hardware to perform a particular task. All of the programmes that run on a computer are made up of code. System software, application software, and programming software are the three types of software that can be found on a computer.
1)System software is the first step.
The system software is the primary software that controls the operation of the computer. When you turn on your computer, it activates the hardware and controls and coordinates the operation of all of its components and components. System software is also in charge of controlling the application programmes. System software includes programmes such as an operating system.
I Operating System (Windows or Macintosh):
An operating system is a piece of system software that serves as an interface between the user and the computer, allowing them to communicate with it. It is in charge of overseeing and coordinating the operation of the computer’s hardware and software. Microsoft Windows, Linux, and Apple’s Mac OS X are the most widely used operating systems in the world.
Other examples of system software include the following:
● BIOS is an abbreviation that stands for basic input output system. In computer terminology, it is a type of operating system software that is stored in Read Only Memory (ROM) on the motherboard.
● In advanced computer systems, on the other hand, it is stored in flash memory instead. When you turn on your computer system, the BIOS is the first piece of software that is launched and activated.
● It assists the operating system in loading itself into memory by loading the drivers for the hard disc into memory as well as the drivers for the hard disc.
● Program to start the computer: The term “boot” refers to the process of starting up a computer.
● When you turn on the computer, the commands stored in the ROM are automatically executed, allowing the boot programme to be loaded into memory and run its instructions.
● When the BIOS programme is run, it provides the computer with a basic set of commands that allow it to perform the basic input/output instructions required to boot up the computer.
● An assembler is a person who assembles things. It performs the function of a converter, in that it takes basic computer instructions and converts them into a pattern of bit patterns. These bits are used by the processor to carry out basic operations.
● A device driver is a piece of system software that manages the operation of hardware devices connected to a computer. By providing an appropriate interface, it enables computers to make use of their respective hardware.
● The kernel of a computer’s central processing unit communicates with various pieces of hardware through this application software.
● The majority of device drivers are typically included with operating systems. It is necessary to install a device driver before using a hardware device if the operating system does not come with a device driver for that particular hardware device.
The second type of application software is:
Generally speaking, application software is a collection of programmes created to perform a specific task. Because it is intended for end-users, it does not have the ability to control the operation of a computer. A computer can function properly even if no application software is installed. Application software can be installed and uninstalled with relative ease as needed.
It can be either a single programme or a collection of small programmes, depending on your needs. Application software includes software such as the Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop, and any other software such as payroll software or income tax software. As we all know, they are created to carry out specific functions. As a result, they can be classified into several categories, including:
Word Processing Software:
● This type of software enables users to create, edit, format, and manipulate text, among other things, in a variety of ways. It provides a wide range of options for writing documents, creating images, and other tasks. For instance, Microsoft Word, WordPad, Notepad, and so on.
● The purpose of spreadsheet software is to perform calculations, store data, and create charts, among other things.
● It has rows and columns, and the data is entered into the cell that is formed by the intersection of a row and a column, for example, in a spreadsheet programme such as Microsoft Excel.
● Multimedia Software: This type of software is designed to allow you to edit video, audio, and text in various ways. It enables you to combine text, videos, audio, and images in a single document.
● You can therefore enhance a text document by including photos, animations, graphics, and charts by using multimedia software to enhance it. Among these are the VLC media player, Window Media Player, and so on.
● Enterprise Software: This type of software is designed to perform business-related operations functions. It is employed in large organisations where the volume of business is prohibitively high.
● It can be used for a variety of tasks such as accounting, billing, and order processing. Customers Relationship Management systems, Business Intelligence systems, ERP systems, Supply Chain Management systems, and other similar systems are examples of business intelligence systems that are used in the workplace.
3) Software for programming:
It is a set of tools or a collection of tools that developers use to assist them in the development of other software or programmes. It aids them in the development, debugging, and maintenance of software, programmes, or applications of any kind. We can categorise these as facilitator software, which assists in the translation of programming languages such as Java, C++, Python, and so on, into machine-readable code. As a result, it is not utilised by end users. Compilers, linkers, debuggers, interpreters, text editors, and so on are examples of software. This software is referred to as a programming tool or a software development tool in some circles.
The following are some examples of programming software:
● Eclipse is a java programming language editor.
● Coda is a programming language editor for the Macintosh operating system.
● Notepad++ is a free and open-source text editor for the Windows operating system.
● For Linux, Mac, and Windows, Sublime Text is a code editor that runs on all three operating systems.